Selecting appropriate GPU archs for testing (Was: ROCm 5.4.0 Released)

Hey Christian,

It's my understanding that you were looking into improving the Debian test infrastructure for GPU accelerators. As I'm currently in the process of preparing the hipcub and rocthrust packages, I wonder if you had any opinions on how the GPU architecture should be selected for their tests. To remind you of the context a little bit,

On 2022-12-12 03:01, Cordell Bloor wrote:
For header-only libraries like rocPRIM, rocThrust, and hipCUB, passing -DAMDGPU_TARGETS only affects the architecture that the tests are built for. It therefore only makes sense to build for hardware that Debian tests against.

Do you have any thoughts on how the architectures should be selected? The package build time grows almost linearly with the number of architectures, so choosing carefully can significantly reduce the build resources required.

Sincerely,
Cory Bloor

P.S. I noticed that GitLab uses ccache when building these GPU libraries. You need to be careful when you do that, because ccache has only partial support for HIP. It doesn't know to invalidate its cache upon changes to the compiler (since clang is used indirectly through the hipcc wrapper) or the device libraries.