Re: ROCm bump to 5.7 - rocm-smi-lib SOVERSIONs bump

M. Zhou, on 2023-09-17:
> Thanks. I'll also help bumping some packages to 5.7.0 in experimental.

You're welcome, although thanks for having started first…  ;)

> On Sun, 2023-09-17 at 11:25 +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > I'm not certain this symbol is supposed to be exposed by these
> > libraries anyway, but I guess it wont hurt to be on the safe
> > side.  Is it okay if I align the rocm_smi64 SOVERSION to 5, and
> > also bump the oam SOVERSION to, say, 2, to reflect this
> > signature change?
>
> A very straightforward way to confirm this is to grep the pattern
>   shared_mutex_init
> within the source code of its reverse dependencies. If there is no
> package directly calling this API, then it is fine to go ahead
> without SOVERSION bump.

The only oam reverse dependency I identified potentially was the
rccl (obtained via `build-rdeps`, `apt rdepends` didn't show any
other reverse dependency than liboam-dev), and it doesn't look
to make use of such symbol.  Adding slurm-wlm in the pot, as it
is the reverse dependency making librocm-smi64-1 a key package,
I don't see it using this symbol either.

In ROCm SMI lib, shared_mutex_init is only used for the Device
constructor.  It is probably not part of the API, and probably
shouldn't be exposed in the first place in the ABI.  I think it
should be fine to not bump.  I also took some time to recheck
what was the status with ROCm SMI lib from ROCm 5.2.3, and the
rocm_smi64 SOVERSION delta was already there.

Thank you for your answer!

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da