RFS: rocm-compilersupport/6.0+git20231212.4510c28+dfsg-1~exp1 -- ROCm code object manager

Hi folks,

I think I've addressed the issues raised in my previous mail about rocm-compilersupport [1]. The binaries and the questionably licensed code have been filtered from the tarball via d/copyright exclusions. That addresses points (1) and (3). The rename of amd_comgr_get_isa_count@amd_comgr_1_8 to amd_comgr_get_isa_count@amd_comgr_2_0 has been reverted, addressing point (2).

The revert of the rename of amd_comgr_get_isa_count prevents any breakage as compared to older versions of the library in Debian and older versions of the library upstream, but Debian will eventually need to reconcile with upstream. I think there would ideally be symbol multi-versioning, but Ian Lance Taylor at least states that for version scripts, "every symbol can only have one version" [2]. My attempts at including both the 1.8 and 2.0 symbol names failed, but I don't think we necessarily need that to proceed. We will have to do more in the future to improve ABI compatibility with upstream, but the rename is sufficient to prevent this update from causing ABI breakage.

My only real question is whether I handled the d/watch file correctly for a git branch watch with version dfsg naming. Lintian complains debian-watch-not-mangling-version, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The tags and tarballs all look right to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "rocm-compilersupport":

 * Package name     : rocm-compilersupport
   Version          : 6.0+git20231212.4510c28+dfsg-1~exp1
 * URL              : https://github.com/ROCm/ROCm-CompilerSupport
 * License          : Expat, NCSA
 * Vcs              : https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-compilersupport
   Section          : devel

The source builds the following binary packages:

  libamd-comgr2 - ROCm code object manager
  libamd-comgr-dev - ROCm code object manager - development package

To access further information about this package, please visit the following URL:

  https://mentors.debian.net/package/rocm-compilersupport/

Alternatively, you can download the package with 'dget' using this command:

  dget -x https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rocm-compilersupport/rocm-compilersupport_6.0+git20231212.4510c28+dfsg-1~exp1.dsc

Changes since the last upload:

 rocm-compilersupport (6.0+git20231212.4510c28+dfsg-1~exp1) experimental; urgency=medium
 .
   * New upstream version 6.0+git20231212.4510c28+dfsg
   * d/watch: follow release/17.x branch
   * Update upstream URLs
   * d/control: update Build-Depends to clang-17
   * Add patch to restore original amd_comgr_get_isa_count symbol version.

Regards,
--
  Cordell Bloor

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2024/01/msg00087.html