Re: MIOpen package LFS files

On 2024-05-08 05:22, Xuanteng Huang wrote:
If we exclude all these binary files (src/kernels/*.kdb.bz2, and maybe others) from being installed (add to d/not-install) after building like Fedora, can we still upload it to the main component?

While d/not-installed filters things from the binary package, it does not affect the source package. If the *.kdb.bz2 files are not suitable for main due to DFSG violations, they need to be excluded from the source package. So, it sounds like the MIOpen LFS files should not be brought into the miopen repository on salsa.

If there are any other source files that need to be excluded, they would typically be handled through with a d/copyright exclusion. The rocblas or hipify packages are good examples for those.

Maybe we can first upload a “pure” version without the binary files, and delay the decision afterwards?

Agreed. I think my only remaining question is whether those big assembly files are ok. They contain macros, so they're clearly not plain disassemblies, and I think their size might be exaggerated by loop unrolling. Still... I can't imagine that they were hand-written, so I think we need to know more about them.

We need to ask upstream. We should find out how they were created and how they are updated (e.g., if bugs are discovered). I would suggest opening an issue to ask the question on the upstream GitHub repository.