Re: Debian-alpha bugs (was: Re: General questions about debian-alpha...)

Hi,

> mailing anything gives the error
>
>   send-mail: setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
>   send-mail: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied
>   send-mail: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied

I have here the same problem, it appears to be related that smail is
not setuid root in debian alpha, and runq is called from the mail
crontab.

I am not sure if it is the correct solution, but making /usr/sbin/smail setuid
root works in my machine. By the way I use exim in my debian linux
boxes and it is setuid root. And from the man page:

       setgroups
              Sets  the  supplementary  groups  for  the process.
              Only the super-user may use this function.

Then I thought that the program must be setuid root. Is this the

I have several maybe bugs here:

a lot of files in /dev and /var have group 41400 ..... I have change
them to the same values that the debian intel box. (This machine has
suffered several crashes (related that is my first headless box) and
this problem can be related with the crashes and not with debian alpha.

Best Regards, Juan.
are different -- Larry McVoy