Re: compiling new kernel

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 07:53:29PM +0200, Dirk Luetjens wrote:
> this might sound like a dump question, but I have never dealt with
> other computers than x86. Since I have problems with my network
> adaptor I would like to compile a new kernel. Can I do this on a PC
> with crosscompilation? If yes, then how.

I don't believe it's possible to build a gcc cross-compiler from a
32-bit arch to a 64-bit one.  That may have changed with egcs.  But
you would still need a cross compiler, bintools and so on...  It is
a huge pain.  I used to cross-compile Sparc kernels on x86.

> I just now, that I have to run "make ARCH=alpha"
>
> If not, is kernel-building under Debian-Alpha as easy as under x86
> (using make-kpkg) ?

You will have an easy time building the kernel on the Alpha.  I have
not tried make-kpkg...  But a simple "make boot" will create
arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz IIRC.

Jeff