Re: Problems compiling kernel

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Michael Holzt wrote:

> No. Line 30 reads:
> $(shell rm -f /tmp/GAS_VER)
>
> There is a line 31, but that is commented out:
> #$(shell $(AS) --version >& /tmp/GAS_VER)

Hmmm...that's odd.  All versions of make should work (and did work...I
didn't upgrade mine for a long while), so I doubt it's make's problem.  It
wouldn't hurt to upgrade make, though...

> I have already compiled the kernel once, with exactly this Makefile.

That's really odd.  Despite the #, it may still want to parse it for some
stupid reason.  I suggest trying to get rid of the ampersand and see if it
works anyway since I have no other suggestion to offer :-(