PC164LX running slow

Hi,

I just received a PC164LX Alpha machine with a 533mhz processor and 2
Meg of onboard cache and 64 megs of system ram and it seems to be
running a little slow.  When I compile the kernel, it takes 8-10 minutes
which seems a lot slower then my p2-300 which I find hard to believe
since the alpha is a much faster processor.  Is it possible that some
cache is being turned off or some other system performance option is set
to slow? If so, how would I go about checking this and how would I set
it to the correct setting?

The hard drive is an older seagate 4.1 gig fast-scsi barracuda, but I
don't see why it would be causing any speed related problems, or would
it?

Thanks in advance,
Mike