Re: PLEASE READ: egcs issues

> [snip]
> Three reasons:
> 1. The Linux community SHOULD work together to provide consistency.  Alot
>    of work has been done towards this effect already.

I agree.

> 3. On the Alpha especially where RH is the dominant distribution right
>    now, sometimes, binaries are only available that may need to be used
>    on both distributions.  As it is, I doubt any of us really want to
>    think that RH packages will run on Debian, but Debian's don't run
>    anywhere else but on another Debian system.

We also need to ensure that third party binaries can be supported. This
includes applications like StarOffice and things like Metrolink Motif (an
Alpha-Platform CD of which I recently installed on my slink box as part of
a LJ review). Binary compatibility is of the UTMOST importance guys...

Martin