Re: Wine

> Hmmm...well, if you're willing to deal with the speed trade-off
> (basically, it's going to be AWFULLY slow...like you're on a 386 at
> times), then it might be a worthwhile experiment.  Bear in mind that for
> every MFC or Windows API call, you'll be going through these steps:
> 	1. Translation of the instructions into a Linux-doable call (Wine)
> 	2. Translation of that Linux call to i386 instruction sets (Wine)
> 	3. Translation of Wine i386 instructions for Alpha Linux (em86)
> 	4. Translation of instrs from Wine's translations to Alpha Linux
> 	   (em86)
> 	5. Translation of the translations from pretty much all of the
> 	   above to Alpha instruction sets (em86/kernel)

Yea, that sounds like molassas.

Well, I don't necessarily want to run any win32 binary under the sun, but I
sure would like to be able to run, say, Lotus Notes compiled for NT/Alpha.
Does anyone know where I can find out about any porting efforts of Wine to
the Alpha? I looked in the newsgroups, on the Wine site, etc, but found
nothing other than a statement in the FAQ that there was en effort underway.

Oh, and IE5 as well, I do love IE.. <g>

cheers,
-o

Oliver Soell