Re: X11-svga crashes (Matrox)

On Thu 02 Jul 1998, Marcus Maskos wrote:

> The hardware is a PC164LX and a Matrox Millennium II (8 MB). Is there
> anybody here with a similar configuration who has troubles with the
> stability of the X-server ?

Yes, it's known that the Matrox support on Alpha is a bit shaky. I
couldn't get it to work at 16 bits at all, the system would totally
freeze up. Maybe that's a little better with the newer versions. I could
also guarantee a fatal crash by starting up xjewel. Running xjewel on
alpha and displaying on i386 (I love X!) worked fine, so it's definitely
an Xserver problem.

Maybe someone could take a look at the matrox support, and fix the
glaring errors? Someone posted a couple of lines of code that were
visibly wrong; those and others could be fixed in an NMU, and hopefully
the x11 maintainer will integrate the fixes.  I'd do it, but don't
really have the bandwidth to download all those MB's of sources... and
I'm away for a couple of weeks.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl