Re: apropos/whatis

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 01:32:16AM +0200, Michael Dietrich wrote:

> hey, nobody problems with mandb? could someone else PLEASE try? (and
> respond?)

Umm, sorry...

Yes, I seem to have related problems.

Basically, "man something" waits for a couple of seconds and then displays
the correct man page. "apropos" and friends wait for the same amount of
seconds and then say "nothing appropriate". Trying to rebuild the man db
doesn't work.

Sorry for sounding so vaguely, but I remember having digged a bit into this
matter and then having put it aside (I'm chronically overworked anyway...)
I wanted to answer you when I got around to at least find out what I found
out before, but I didn't get around it today.

Take this at least as a confirmation that it's not solely your problem.
When I find out some more, I'll mail you again. Until then, I'll just
substitute "man xyz" with "ssh guardian man xyz" (where guardian is my
debian/i386 machine) :)

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>