Scary kernel messages

Danny@murphy.debian.org, Heap@murphy.debian.org, dannyhp@pop.web.net writes:
 > Yesterday I installed debian on an alpha LX, using March 4th versions of the
 > installation disks and the lx164 rescue/driver (output of cat /proc/cpuinfo
 > below).  We are seeing very worrisome kernel messages:
 >
 > <sc 208(1201813e0,3e9,8)>
 > <sc 208(120138720,3e9,5)>
 > <sc 208(120138720,0,0)>
 > <sc 208(120138720,0,0)>

Do not worry these are just warning related to the lchown syscall
that do not exist on 2.0 kernels. This warning are completely
harmless.

And actually I think they should not be present in debian kernels
since the march set. Can you tell us the output of uname -a, to
identify the kernel you are running? The different march sets should
definitely supress them, but until this week the debian archive had
only the february set.

 > .. these appear to be related to disk activity, so I'm afraid we have an fsck
 > in our future.  Any advice?  I have the RedHat/Microway kernel that the machine
 > shipped with --- should I try to copy it to /vmlinuz and hope that the newer
 > milo that came with debian will work with it?

Do not worry, your machine is probably perfectly fine. But feel free
to run any other kernel you want (Redhat, or custom-compiled), we have
tried very hard to ensure there is no compatility issue, from any 2.0
kernels up to the more recent ones.

Loic