Re: Requalification of Alpha for etch

On Sat, 2005-10-08 16:51:06 -0500, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 09:06:53PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> > > * There needs to be another buildd. There have been numerous offers in
> > >   the past. I have no idea what to do to actually make it happen.
> >
> > The problem, I guess, is more the hosting in a place with an
> > Alpha-knowledgable local admin than the machines. A good example is
> > faure and lully: the local admin doesn't know SRM and therefore faure
> > vanished a long while ago after a new kernel had to be installed...
>
> I would volunteer to help out with these sorts of things.  I believe
> SRM can work as a serial console, yes?  All it really needs then is
> some way to hook up to that console.  I'm not an SRM expert, but I
> figured it out well enough to convert my own Alpha from AlphaBIOS to
> SRM, and keep it booting ;-)

Erm, especially with SRM, you'll use aboot, for which installing a new
kernel is a task that can fully be done from within Linux... Only if
the new kernel won't work for some reason, you may need to interact
with aboot to load an alternate kernel.

This can be done with local keyboard/monitor, or with serial console.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O