Re: firefox-4.0.1

On 08/05/11 04:02, Matt Turner wrote:
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Michael Cree<mcree@orcon.net.nz>  wrote:
BTW, I don't think anyone has implemented the Alpha specific code for IPC..
  I think firefox has to be compiled with --disable-ipc.  IIRC, the
architecture specific code is a set of atomic operations, of which the
implementation probably could be based on the equivalent code in the Linux
kernel source.  The is on my list of things to do but I doubt I will get
this far down my list for quite some time.

Looking at the code, this should be pretty trivial.

I started looking last night, and then wondered why in the world
didn't they just use gcc's atomic __builtins? They Already separate
other platforms files into x86_gcc, x86_macos, and x86_msvc. Seems
like all gcc platforms with atomic __builtins could be replaced with a
single file.

A gcc version for alpha would probably be very straightforward. Is anyone still building firefox with the Compaq compiler on OSF? If so, a more generic version might be appreciated. Or we can leave it to them to sort out their own act :-)

Cheers
Michael.