[solved] Re: I can get no... sound

Yannick - Debian/Linux wrote:

<snip>

> I report :
> using this package from www.debian.org
> kernel-image-2.6.11-9-amd64-k8_2.6.11-4_amd64.deb
> sound works out of the box ! No configuration needed.
>
> Currently i can't try 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8... I hope soon.
> Regards,
> Yannick

Hi Yannick,
I now have sound working perfectly on 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8. I reinstalled amd64
from a sarge netinst cd I had burned. Since I have a stack of them I just
grabbed the first one I saw which must have been a few months old. I know
this for 2 reasons:
1. That's where 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 came from which, as you noticed, is no
longer availabe and
2. The sources.list on the netinst cd was out of date and I had to hand-edit
the file to get the net installation part working.
Once I got the base system installed and rebooted I put in just the minimum
(no graphics stuff at all). I changed the sources.list from stable to
testing and updated/upgraded the system to etch. I then ran alsaconf (I may
have downloaded the alsa stuff or maybe it was already there I don't
recall). Anyway it worked and I could get up amixer and alsamixer which
were quite happy.
Then I installed the xwindows system (xfree86 not xorg) and kde. The sound
still worked fine and this is when I reported that 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 was
working with alsa. Then I installed the 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 kernel image and
the sound still worked fine. So we know there is no bug in
2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 or at least it is compatible with alsa since I have it
working now.
If you really want to use 2.6.8 rather than 2.6.11 then I'd suggest you
reinstall from a fresh sarge netinst cd, just do the minimum upgrade to
etch by editing the sources.file and try out alsa before putting in the
graphics stuff. At least you'll know that the sound works before
downloading 400 packages or so that come with KDE or Gnome (or whatever).
You should be fine then. I have no idea what both of us did to mess up the
system but we managed it.
Cheers,
Jonathan