Re: Dupal Opteron on Sarge

Steve,

can you be more specific please ?
What do you intend to do with the server (Web,DB,DTP ;=) etc.) ?

If you consider running MySQL on the Opteron then you are in VERY good
hands *consult the mysql mailing list. There is enough info to keep you
reading for a month or so.

If you want to do DTP than you just wasted your money ;-).

In order to give a better answer you should consider giving MUCH more
details (MB, Memory HDD interface etc).

F.e. I am using some of the the Tyan S2882UG3NR with 2-6GB Memory.

Which probably brings us to the next question.

Which HDD interface will you be using ?

Note that almost all Sata controllers are software based *except 3Com +
(one more I forgot).

This means that you will basically use the opensource driver when you
consider SATA.

I also tried Suse 9.2 *which is know a bit dated, which basically gave me
the best performance so far.

However for other reasons I decided that Debian is better for my needs and
future compatibility *ugrading etc.

If you are just after speed & power you may as well decide to wait for the
dual core CPUs to arrive.

One thing that is commonly reported and that I can also confirm is that
the workload on Opteron systems is usually quite low, even when running a
few tasks in the background. This is why Hosting companies like opteron
systems '=).

I hope that I could make a few valid points which can help you make a
decision. If you can give a few more details than I might be able to make
a more specific reply.

You may also be interested in some of my private scriples & notes which
are publicly available:

http://www.be-known-online.com/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=113

>>Choose "AMD Opteron 64 bit"
>>Page seems to be empty, so from the dropdown menu choose "From the
beginning"

You should get some installation descriptons for Opteron based systems.

There used to be more info, however a harddisc crash sorted that out ;-).
I am still rebuilding the site.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan