What partitioning tool is used in the installer?

I instelled etch on my AMD64 using Len Sorenson's installer.

Now the time has come to create a few new partitions.  In particular,
I want to set up a new partition for /usr separate from /.

I have found the installer's partitioning tool (via its text
interface) to be a very convenient for setting up LVM on RAID.  It
certainly worked better than me trying to figure out everything that
had to be done using mdadm and lvm2 directly.

What partitioning tool was that, and how should I go about using it on
a running system?  Is it available separate from the installer?  Or
should I boot the installer and start it in some kind of non-install
mode?

-- hendrik