APC (American Power Conversion) APC BACK-UPS RS 800VA

I would like to protect from sparks and temporary power failures my
(continuous) computational work on a workstation (still to be built because
of the difficulty of getting mainboard Tyan K8WE S2895SA3NRF). We already
have two dual amd6a opterons, driven by amd64 debian.

I have been offered in my country (Italy) APC (American Power Conversion) APC
BACK-UPS RS 800VA (at a price 219 euros, more than twice the price in USA
120$). The price difference is standard here. It does not reflect the
difference of taxation in the two countries, importation duties, and shipping
expenses. And, from the long delay in having the mainboard delivered from the
official dealer here, could it be that someone is waiting for the importation
price to go down, after having fixed the price with the client? At any event,
I am reiterating that with debian we have not solved our "dependencies" in
toto.

My main concern is about functionality with the OS i intend to use. I came
across
to /www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=1369992/id_type=M
which is not very encouraging (particularly as it probably refers to 32 not
64), as follows:

>My only (minor) reservation is that the APC PowerChute software doesn't work
>well with Linux. PowerChute for Linux does not come with the unit, but is
>free to download from APC. I played with it for a while and couldn't make it
>work. Fortunately, there is another option: apcupsd (available on
>SourceForge). Apcupsd works straight from the install without any custom
>configuration for RedHat 9, and after a little tweaking for Fedora Core 3
>(Fedora's problem, not apcupsd).

Has anyone experience with this (or other equipment to the same purpose) for
the type on installation of my project?

Thank you
francesco pietra