Re: Problem booting Debian amd64 3.1r0a

On Friday 12 May 2006 12:41, Hans wrote:
> Am Freitag, 12. Mai 2006 13:08 schrieb Alex Page:
> > I'm trying to install Debian amd64 3.1r0a on a dual em64t Xeon box, with
> > SCSI hard drives and an IDE CD-ROM. I've previously had Debian i386
> > running on the same hardware.
> >
> > Once I've completed the base install from CD, I'm prompted to reboot
> > into Debian. When I boot my Debian amd64 kernel, the boot process hangs
> > with the following error message:

Hi all,

I had a similar problem: installation from cd (3.1r0a netinst) worked fine
until reboot, where the new system hung up.

I found two errors in the new system, which caused the system-hang:

1) the installer did not create a symlink to the new kernel-image in /
2) "lilo.conf" didn't contain the necessary statement for the initial ramdisk.

So, I had to do the following:

After the installation, just before the reboot, I had to switch to a second
tty, entered a "chroot /target" and then a "ln -s /boot/vmlinuz". After that
I edited the lilo.conf with "nano /etc/lilo.conf" and entered something like
"initrd=/boot/initrd.img". Then save and run "/sbin/lilo".

After these steps my new debian rebooted without a problem... :)

HTH, Best regards,
Marcus