Re: updated howto

Francesco Pietra wrote:
I forgot to mention that the Tyan bears also a scsi card for an external HD, CD, scanner (a set to be exchanged with the 32bit PC). I imagine that this scsi card has to be configured into the chroot as described below. Correct?

I have no idea about this hardware question, I believe you should google a bit for the answer. However, I suppose it's a kernel thing, and so it should not require chroots or similar.

Hi Roberto:
Thanks again. I regret now asking what has already been answered on this list but I can't trace where.

Finally I got all parts, so that I assembled the workstation with two amd64 opterons on TyanK8WE S2895 and a couple of HD (for raid1).

Basically it is an OS installation for chemical calculations, and therefore pure amd64 debian to gain in floating point. However, it may also be a resource should my PC (i386 debian testing/unstable) stop running. Therefore, I also plan to have a chroot installation of 32bit programs. I do not remember if KDE is 64bit or has to be out into this chroot.

You can have KDE in a pure 64 bit environment.

That said, should I point directly to http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
or
http://www.debian.org/debian-installer/
and, once installed Sarge, do upgrading to testing? If you patient enough, which files should I download to build an iso and than make a bootable installer CD? I have a fst connection to internet to complete a net installation. These problems arise with people, like me, that come to installations seldom, forgetting steps that more or less they were already passed through.

Thanks a lot
Francesco Pietra

That's the iso you need to install thing via internet.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

If you select expert mode, you should have the possibility to choose between sid and etch I think.

Good luck,
Roberto