Re: debian_amd64_sarge

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:57:09AM +1000, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> i dont think anyone would say that the amd64 port is horendously unstable.
>
> as a server, most of your standard software is 64bit friendly
> and 64bit is by no means new ground for the linux kernel.
>
> for example, you shouldnt see any 64bit specific issues from...
>
> apache.
> mysql.
> postgresql.
> perl.
> exim.
> postfix.
> qmail.
> bind.
> samba.
> proftpd.
> (and friends)
>
> as they are all diversly ported
>
> you may have issues with binary or really obscure software.
> that said, 32bit chroot is really good.
>
> the kernel was ported to amd64 late in the 2.4 series and my understanding
> at this point is mainly hardware and driver issues. there have been leaps
> and bounds in this area.
>
> for what its worth, i wouldnt hesitate to deploy debian sarge (with a
> newer kernel) on production servers.
>
> Dean

I'm having problems with my AMD64 system, but I nontheless agree
completely with Dean.  When I use it as a server it's rock-solid stable.

The problems occur when I use it as a workstation as well -- and that
seems to be all trouble with the nvidia video drivers (which for
perverse historical reasons are called x server, but are used more
like client-side software).  It seems to crash when I move the mouse
while the screen is being updated.  But When I log into the AMD64
remotely from another workstation using xdmcp, (thereby bypassing the
nvidia stuff) it's also rock-solid.

-- hendrik