Re: Software RAID5

Dan Serban <dserban@lodgingcompany.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Recent kernels and mdadm have support for rebuilding a raid
>> now. Better to use that where possible.
>>
>> MfG
>>         Goswin
>>

> To say.. move from RAID1 to RAID6?  I wasn't aware, seeing that the
> number of devices changes, and the filesystem has to be modified.  Cool
> if true.  I'll go rtfm.

I doubt that is ready yet. But other transformations are, raid5 with n
disks to n+1 disks and such. None of those will do filesystem
transformations and they don't need to. They just rearange the
underlying block device to the new scheme. If the device size changes
you have to resize the FS yourself.

MfG
        Goswin