Google Earth woes

Hi,

I recently installed Google Earth version 4.0.2091, and installation went
very smoothly.  I started it right after installation with no errors,
warnings, nor dialogs complaining something couldn't be set.  The only
problem is that the images shown in the globe are very patchy, with
several completely black patches, as if no info could be retrieved for
those polygons.  It's not a matter of waiting for images to be downloaded,
judging from the progress bar at the bottom.  Things get worse when I
start panning/zooming around, as many displayed sections do not get
redrawn, resulting in a tutti-frutti-like display.  The only thing that
does seem to get redrawn properly, even on the completely black patches,
is the yellow contour lines for political/geographical bodies.

I'm running the latest Nvidia graphics card driver for my hardware.

Has anybody experienced something like this?  Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Seb