Re: Trouble with proxy firewall doing Sarge 3.1r3 netinst

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 18:12, Peter Welch wrote:
> "The proxy information should be given in the standard form of"
> http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]/
>
> Well, whatever I try doesn't work but while it may be painfully obvious to
> some how to interpret that syntax, it has me baffled.

Convention dictates that anything enclosed in square brackets  [such as this]
is optional, and square brackets can be nested so as to indicate how some
things are more optional than others.  If you see something like
  the [[big]red] bus
it can mean "the big red bus", "the red bus" or just "the bus"; but not "the
big bus", since "big" is within [another set of square brackets within] the
same set of square brackets that enclose "red".  If you omit "red" then you
cannot use "big".

> I have a userid and password and am told that it is IP 192.168.107.5 and
> port 80
>
> I can't ping the IP address -- is that a problem from the start?

Not necessarily.  Some people set their equipment not to answer pings, in the
vain hope that it might enhance security and not just make them look like an
anti-social tosser.

You could try the following;
# echo -e "GET / HTTP/1.0\n" | nc 192.168.107.5 80
If that produces some sort of output, meaning that there's a server on that
address that understands HTTP, then you know you're on the right sort of
lines.

> Will someone please provide a more tangible example of just what should be
> typed?

Following your example, if the username is "fred" and the password
is "b00bies", then you need to enter
http://fred:b00bies@192.168.107.5:80/

If there were no password, it would be
http://fred@192.168.107.5:80/

And if there were neither username nor password, it would be
http://192.168.107.5:80/

Hope that makes sense!

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk