Re: chroot question

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Anton Piatek <anton@piatek.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I posted this on Debian-user list, but thought someone here might have tried
>> this already...
>>
>> I have a amd64 install of debian with a 32bit chroot for a couple of apps.
>> This works great, but I have a question.
>>
>> Is it possible to have an application inside the 32bit chroot launch an
>> application on my main 64 bit system? (e.g. a photo browsing program in the
>> 32bit chroot launching gimp, which is installed in my main 64 bit system).
>> I currently launch my 32bit programs with schroot and am hoping I can set
>> something to make specific programs outside the chroot available...
>>
>> I cannot think of how this can be achieved, so any ideas are welcomed.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Anton
>
> mkdir /chroot-32/chroot-64/
> mount --bind / /chroot-32/chroot-64/
>
> Then applications inside chroot-32 can just again chroot into
> chroot-64 to get back out.

While this should work it is not necessary for many 32-bit applications.
They will run fine if called directly outside the chroot.  The 32-bit
libraries need to be listed in /etc/ld.so.conf and /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(the 32-bit linker) needs to be present (possibly as symlink to
/chroot32/lib/ld-linux.so.2).

Then, many applications will run fine in the 64-bit environment and
they can easily call 64-bit applications.

Matthias