nvidia module issues.

Greetings all.

I have a problem with either the nvidia-kernel or the nvidia module m-a
compiles.

The xorg driver nv works "fine";

The Nvidia module builds with m-a (but I have to force it with -f, otherwise
m-a reports it's up-to-date)  The module loads no problem, but X won't start,
Says:  "module does not exist".

I've booted with several older kernels, rebuilt the nvidia module again
with -f as m-a, and STILL reports the module doesn't need building (which I
find odd) and still no go.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the xserver can't find the nvidia modules I'm
building?

SOFTWARE:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
nvidia-kernel-2.6.22-rc3-amd64 (experimental.1~snapshot.8898)
xserver-xorg                       1:7.2-3

HARDWARE:
nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GS
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800
RAM:
3 gigs