Opinions sought regarding RAID controller behaviour

Hello,

I've got one of these in a server: Adaptec 2230-SLP dual RAID ontroller
PCI-X

It has four disks attached to it and is configured to present three of
the four as a single RAID-5 array; the fourth disk is a hot spare.

However, when the server to which it is attached is booted up, it
*sometimes* (not always) shows the following 'disks':

- /dev/sda - the RAID-5 array as expected;
- /dev/sdb - the first disk in the array, as a single disk;
- /dev/sdc - the second disk...
- /dev/sdd - the third disk...
- /dev/sde - the fourth (spare) disk

After rebooting, it will often return to the (correct) configuration:

- /dev/sda - the RAID-5 array

I only noticed this because there is a second SCSI chain which would
normally be labelled at /dev/sdb, but got 'bumped' to /dev/sdf

So, the controller is sometimes presenting not only the actual
configured disk array, but also the individual component disks.

This strikes me as Not Good.

However, is this likely to be a hardware issue, or is it a driver issue?
I'm using the aacraid driver on a 2.6.15 kernel, running
Debian/Sarge-amd64.   An upgrade to 2.6.18 and Etch-amd64 is planned
soon.

I am always aware that I can probably work around the symptoms by using
UUID labels, but I'm still interested in opinions as to where the
problem lies.

Opinions, please!

Thanks,

Dave.