Re: kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

Karl Schmidt wrote:
Apr 10 10:54:02 poland kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

I see this every once in a while - no problems with the server and others on the web see it only on amd64. Any kernel gurus know exactly what this means?

Not a kernel "guru" by any stretch of the imagination, but I used to see it on my 64-bit, dual core systems (nForce 4 mb) (running 32-bit Linux kernels). Also saw it on a dual-socket system socket for 370 Celeron.* With 64-bit kernels, the whole system locks up during the boot init stuff. I think it means your motherboard has a broken BIOS, usually. (APIC implemented badly.) On mine, I run with the kernel parameter noapic, which seems to do no harm.

Mark Allums

* Yes, I had one of the legendary Abit motherboards that did dual socket 370 Celerons before the Pentium III came out (and it wouldn't do the Pentium III, it had voltage issues.)