Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:23:47AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
That is one big problem with nvidia - my laptop needs a more recent
kernel than that in order to have sound and wifi. So
I use 2.6.25 with a wifi patch now, and with luck that patch will
go into 2.6.26 so I can run a standard kernel again. Perhaps
nvidia catch up someday. Anyway, the 3D effects in xlockmore is not
too heavy to run in software.

nvidia is perfectly up to date.  It isn't nvidia's fault if yu try to
run a 2 year old driver with a 1 month old kernel.  If you want a new
kernel and a new nvidia driver, run unstable, or backport things you
need yourself (or get someone to do it for you).
There is a nvidia driver in unstable now, that works with 2.6.25?
Interesting - I can try it when I get time then.  I run mostly
testing with some unstable stuff now and then.
The worst part of nvidia is the occational lockup though. A surprise freeze or two a
week is definitely too much - the machine runs stable without nvidia. :-/

Never seen that myself.  The only thing that has ever locked up X on me
is the stupid flash plugin from adobe.  That is a piece of unstable crap.
Maybe you are lucky having not exactly the same hardware as me then.
There are many nvidia cards after all.

I heard about this older version of the driver that didn't freeze up. Took some effort to find it and downgrade X. It was much better, but eventually it too hung
the machine.

I run the latest 169.12 driver and no lockups on any of my machines so
far (all of which have nvidia cards in them).

Sometimes I wonder if the machines crashing have bad power supplies or
bad ram or something.
That could happen - but I don't think so when all trouble go away by
using the vesa X driver. Vesa having useable (although not fantastic) performance
also means I probably aren't using the GPU all that hard when it locks the
machine.

Helge Hafting