Re: amd64 kernel + 32-bit userland: compiling a new amd64 kernel

Dieter Rohlfing wrote:
Hello Maciek,

thanks a lot for your reply. This is my answer to your last three contributions.

I have similar setup .
To compile kernel and other stuff which require 64 bits I have
debootstrap'ed amd64 environment  . I'm switch to it by schroot .
If you have 1 Gb - 2Gb of harddisk to spare ,it is way to go.

For me kernel compilation would be the only 64-bit developement, all other is
32-bit.

I found that i386 version of wpa_supplicant does not work properly with
amd64 kernel .So you might have use native amd64 version of wpa_supplicant.

At the moment it doesn't matter me.

If you only want to compile amd64 kernel the chroot will not be too big . Without X libraries it wil be (I think) 0,5 Gb.
I have defacto two full systems main i386 and chrooted amd64

That's not so big. The space is not the problem, but the number of partitions.
There's a limit of 15 scsi partitions (unfortunately hard-coded).

If you use chroot there is no need for additional partition Both systems reside on the same partition
And you don't have to reboot to switch between them.
In pure 64-bit system there is problem with java/flash web plug-ins .

That's true. Unfortunately. :-(

But I think, it's only a matter of time, when the 64-bit java/flash web plug-ins
are available. Hopefully the problem is vanished in one or two years.

The workaround is (you may guess) 32-bit chroot.

I'm not really happy with this solution, because it's a mix-up of two different
worlds. I prefer clear solutions, either 32 or 64 bit.

Mixed (kernel amd64 userland 32-bit) as mentioned on
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
is not recomended for workstation . I can't confirm that because on my
system (workstation) everything works. I have
Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller and
3-D acceleration in my mixed setup works OK.
I don't know what is current status of ATI/NVIDIA binary drivers.

I've read the how-to and can't see, why it is an option for server, but not for
workstations. I have the same graphic adapter in my laptop and haven't
experienced any problems so far.

At the moment I tend to the following solution:

System 1 (64-bit kernel + 32-bit userland) for doing the dayly work
System 2 (64-bit kernel + userland) just for kernel compilation

For me this has the following advantages:
- no chroot
- System 1 is pure 32-bit userland, System 2 is pure 64-bit userland
  (no mixture of different userland architectures)
- System 2 is upgradable to a full-blown system for dayly work in order
  to substitute System 1
- System 2 has also the function of a maintenance system (small system
  to do repairing and full backups)

Nevertheless: up to now I haven't made the final decision. I'll use this weekend
to continue my investigations and therefore I'm thankful for further hints and
tipps.

Regards.

Dieter

Partyjka w Chinczyka?