Debian News

DEBIAN TALKS NEAR YOU!

This year there will be Debian talks at Linux Expo North Carolina,
http://www.linuxexpo.org/ , May 28-30, and Debian talks and a table
at the Atlanta Linux Showcase, http://www.ale.org/showcase/ , October
23-24. In addition, we've submitted programs and hope to be accepted
at the International Linux Kongress, Cologne Germany, June 3-5
http://www.linux-kongress.de/koeln.html, and the SANE conference in
Maastricht, November 18-20, http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane98 .
Ian Jackson hopes to appear at the Linux Kongress, Bruce Perens will be at
all shows where we're accepted.

We'll inform you as more talks are added.

DEBIAN STABILITY

Debian's "master" system is a Pentium 90 with 64MB graciously provided
by our donor Novare, who also donate its site in Texas, its support,
and its internet connection. It delivers over 100,000 e-mails daily,
runs the CVS server for the GNOME project, is our master FTP server
with many mirror systems accessing it every day, hosts our bug reporting
system and many project utilities, and is the "home" system of our 200
developers, who compile, upload, and download using that system every day.
This is a heavier load than I'd put on a single commercial workstation
running anything but Linux. A Microsoft NT system with a Pentium Pro and
128MB RAM would not approach the load this system handles effortlessly every
day. The system just ran continuously for three months without a reboot.

I thought three months without a reboot was a big deal. When I mentioned
it to our developers, one of them showed me details about his system. It
was up for 458 days, and was halted to move it to another floor. The network
and disk device drivers had handled tens of millions of interrupts in that
time.

DEBIAN AFFILIATES

The Berlin project, a project to make a next-generation window system,
has chosen to become part of Software in the Public Interest (Debian's
corporation). The project's timeline is about two years long.

Debian is discussing collaboration with SEUL, a project to make a simple
end-user Linux for less-technical users than we presently support. See
their web page at http://www.seul.org/ .

	Bruce Perens