Re: mm, php4 and smstools stuck in unstable, apl, dbtcp, snui and turck-mmcache need update

[N.B.: if you don't want to involve the debian-release list in these
discussions -- which I would personally advise -- you might want to at
least use the PTS addresses for the packages so that those of us who are
both Uploaders and release assistants can participate ;)]

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:31:18AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:36:25PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >   Checking mm
> >    - trying to update mm from 1.1.3-6 to 1.3.0-1 (candidate is 275
> >      days old)
> >    - Updating mm makes 4 packages uninstallable on alpha: apl, dbtcp,
> >      snui, turck-mmcache
> >    - Updating mm makes 2 packages uninstallable due to depending on
> >      mm: php4, smstools
> >
> > I believe that this mean that packages apl, dbtcp, snui and
> > turck-mmcache need to be built with the new mm package in unstable
> > (Sid) before the packages mm, php4 and smstools can enter testing
> > (Sarge).
> >
> > You are listed as the maintainer of one of these packages.  Do you
> > agree with my findings, and would you consider uploading a version of
> > your package built with the newer mm package to make sure the latest
> > version of all these packages can get into testing?

> Looks to me like the others are right - it's php4's issue. That being
> said, I'll gladly do anything I can to help the progress of testing. If
> you can identify anything dbtcp-specific (such as needing a recompile
> for a new version of php4), please let me know and I'll do what I can.

The current prospective testing hint for this package set looks like
this:

  hint php4/4:4.3.3-4 mm/1.3.0-1 smstools/1.12.5-1 apache/1.3.29.0.1-3

All the other packages involved are broken because of transitive
dependencies on mm, which the bjorn.haxx.se scripts don't communicate
very well.

We are currently only waiting on autobuilders to catch up before this
can be hinted in.  Apache is missing on s390, sparc, and mipsel; php4 is
missing on s390.  Apache is also missing or arm, but arm is being
ignored right now.  The s390 and sparc autobuilders were late to come
on-line after the compromise, so there's still some lag there, and
mipsel was lagging behind prior to the compromise.  Nothing to do here
but sit and wait.

Note that the testing scripts currently say php4 has an RC bug holding
it out, but I've just tweaked that, because php4-pear has ALWAYS been
broken and therefore shouldn't affect propagation into testing (though
this bug will need to be fixed pre-sarge).

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer