Re: whoami: cannot find username for UID 1001

Hmm.  I am using a Netwinder (ARM) as NIS master, and a PC as slave.
Both using the most current 'unstable'.  This problem does not exist
there.  Maybe potato-specific?

Have you been logged in since Tuesday?  I.e. did you log in before
doing some change on your system, and have not yet logged out?
Is UID 1001 one that is exported through NIS, or is it local to the
machine you are running 'ssh' from?

- Try 'ypmatch 1001 passwd.byuid'.
- On your client machine, make sure the master is visible: 'ypwhich'
- Make sure /etc/defaultdomain contains your NIS domain name.
- Also try restarting NIS, in both places: '/etc/init.d/nis restart'

-tor

--
Får i ulveklær