Re: booting the samsung chromeboot xe303c12 with the debian armmp kernel

On Mon, Nov 17 2014, Pedro Bulach wrote:
> I am stuck at a similar situation, where the kernel is loaded but
> fails to boot the box. A screenshot is attached. I have built upstream
> kernels 3.17.2 and 3.18-rc4 over the weekend, both with the same
> results.

I built a kernel according to the instructions on the linux-exynos
wiki[1]. When I 'bootm ...' (no initrd), the boot loader outputs a bunch
of text, much as your screenshot. A few minutes later (I didn't time it,
but much longer than you would normally expect to wait), the screen
cleared, two penguins are shown and some kernel messages scroll
past. The screen clears again, and I'm left with it blank.

So, _something_ works better with the kernel from the linux-exynos
github repository, even if it doesn't get all of the way (but it may be
that I messed up my incantations in uboot).

> I am using nv-uboot-simplefb, which I believe is simplefb-enabled.
>
> My current plan is to build the cros kernel and install it as a uImage
> on the boot partition to validate the setup. Once it works, I will go
> back to the upstream kernel, and then to debian's kernel.
>
> Pedro

Footnotes:
[1]  http://linux-exynos.org/wiki/ARM_Chromebook/Mainline_Linux_kernel