Re: how to distinguish armel and armhf at runtime?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 09:57:02PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>Hello,
>
>for the package sparse I have to distinguish armel and armhf. The reason
>is that sparse parses system headers and so has to know which cpp
>symbols to define. Usually it uses uname -m to distinguish platforms but
>that isn't suitable to tell armel and armhf apart.
>
>For armhf I need to define __ARM_PCS_VFP but that must be absent on armel.

Right, that makes sense.

>For upstreaming a fix it would be great if the test would not be Debian
>specific.

That's likely to be difficult - it's perfectly possible to have
headers etc. for both on a single system with multi-arch (for
example). It's an ABI choice, not a hardware difference.

What are you trying to work this out for? Package build time?

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis