Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Wednesday 10 July 2019 11:49:48 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 July 2019 03:19:04 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:11 AM Gene Heskett
> > > <gheskett@shentel.net>

> > >  doesn't matter: pick the nearest package, that's why i said
> > > "similar".  if that's 4.1something.something it will [should] not
> > > matter.  if the build dependencies are that drastically different
> > > from kernel to kernel it's an alarm bell.
> > >
> > > l.
> >
> > you are missing the point Luke.
>
> no, i'm not: you're misunderstanding.  allow me to emphasis it by
> spelling it out, explicitly.
>
> step 1: use apt-get build-dep
> linux-image-4.whatever-is-the-largest-highest-available-debian-image
> step 2: COMPILE THE 5.0 UPSTREAM SOURCE CODE.
>
> step 1 installs the prerequisite build dependencies
> step 2 gets you what you want.
>
> note that i did ****NOT**** say:
>
> step 1: use apt-get build-dep linux-image-4.whatever
The pi is running 4.19.50-v7+ right now, so this should be the correct
translation:
pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi120/buildbot/linux-5.1.14 $ sudo apt-get
build-dep linux-image-4.19.50-v7+
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for linux-image-4.19.50-v7+

For every step fwd, 2 back...

> step 2: use apt-get source {the-exact-same-package-name}
>
> now. if you're missing some of the drivers (as you have in the past),
> it means that you've not correctly selected the exact same Kconfig
> options that would get you the loadable dynamic modules that support
> that hardware.
>
> therefore, the easiest way to correct that: you need to track down
> what the debian config is which _does_ enable the required hardware.
> i haven't done that in a while, so can't recall off the top of my head
> the exact process: i'd suggest starting with "apt-get-source
> linux-image-4.whatever-is-greatest-that-you-can-find".
>
> again, to reiterate, that is NOT for the purposes or to imply IN ANY
> WAY that you should stop trying to do what you are doing and go with
> the 4.whatever kernel.  you should use the debian 4.whatever Kconfig
> AS THE BASIS for what you are trying to do [with the 5.0-or-whatever
> kernel].
>
> you may find that some Kconfig options are missing, or their names
> changed: this is just how it goes with every revision of the linux
> kernel.  you'll have to apply some experimentation and thought.
>
> l.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis