Re: Status of dpkg-shlibdeps tracking ARM object linkage ABI mismatches

Hi!

On Thu, 2023-06-15 at 14:56:21 +0200, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> On 2023-04-27 11:27, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I was recently working on the Dpkg::Shlibs::Objdump module code
> > related to ELF and ABI tracking, and when seeing the ARM handling
> > missing there, recalled the issues we saw some time ago with ARM
> > when I tried to make that tracking more strict, which had to be
> > reverted due to issues with objects in the wild. For context that
> > was #853793.
>
> My understanding is that the problematic cases are ELF files with:
>
> (1) EABIv4 instead of EABIv5
> (2) armhf files with the ARM_SOFT_FLOAT flag set
> (3) armel files with the ARM_HARD_FLOAT flag set
>
> Is that correct? Anything else?

AFAIR there was also the case of objects being annotated with
Tag_ABI_VFP_args but not with either of the ABI hard or soft float
flags. And rechecking the commit message, it seems there were also
objects with both ABI float flags set at the same time.

I'm not sure whether you plan on analyzing all ELF objects in the
Debian archive for the Arm architectures, but if so, that would be
rather helpful. But thanks in any case for looking into this!

Thanks,
Guillem