Re: theli package in debian astro-datareduction

Hi Oliver,

On 02.05.2018 13:49, Oliver Cordes wrote:
> hopefully, you are the right person to contact? In the other case, can
> you redirect the email to the person responsible or give me the email
> address.

The best place to discuss this is the Debian Astro mailing list
<debian-astro@lists.debian.org>; I have added it to the Cc.

> I just recognized that in debian there will be some collections of astro
> packages and inside the astro-datareduction package there was the
> suggestion to have a "theli" package. "theli" was developed by my
> colleagues Thomas Erben and Mischa Schirmer at the Argelander Institute
> for Astronomy. What we saw in the past years, that a lot of amateur
> astronomers want to use that program and need a good installation
> procedure. For myself, I have some experience in creating debian
> packages for debian/Ubuntu systems (not official packages) but for local
> system administration only.
>
> The status of the "theli" software is that it consists of one part with
> mostly scripts and a second part a GUI. The first GUI depends on the now
> outdated Qt3 framework but it will be currently rewritten for Qt5!
>
> Since I'm in contact with the developer of theli I can do some packaging
> for this software.
>
> My question is, how we can do this?

Theli would be a great contribution to Debian Astro! There already was a
request to package it a few years ago <https://bugs.debian.org/780303>;
however nobody took up. So, you are very welcome to do it!

Since you already did some packaging yourself, you probably know the
basics. For a package in Debian Astro, there are a few things:

* You should "officially" announce that you work on packaging. For this,
you should replace the "RFP" ("Request For Packaging") in title of the
bug report #780303 with "ITP" ("Intend To Package") and put yourself as
bug owner. Since the GUI is a separate source package (as far as I
remember), you should also issue a second ITP for the GUI.

  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

* The packaging should be done in a git repository which is hosted on
https://salsa.debian.org in the debian-astro-team. Please create an
account for you, apply for Debian Astro Membership for that, and drop me
a note that I can create the repositories there.

* When you have something ready, send a mail to debian-astro@lists.d.o.
We can then review and help with Problems. Also if you have any
problems, just send a mail. When the package is finished, I (or any
other Debian Developer) will upload it. It then needs to pass a
ftpmaster review (to check for Debian Policy conformance; mainly this is
licensing), after this it is in Debian unstable.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. A few
years ago, I wrote a tutorial which is focused on Astropy affiliated
packages, but it may help you as well:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAstro/AstropyPackagingTutorial/Preparation

Best regards

Ole