Re: pinning and groups of related packages

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:35:43 -0500
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
<snip>
> How does all this work with aptitude?  Are there ways of doing this
> using aptitude?  If not, is the use of apt-get -t likely to cause
> aptitude any difficulty later?
>
> Les Gray wrote:
> > Another way would be to -
> >
> > 1. Delete /etc/apt/preferences, or only use it for repos from which you
> > download just 1 or 2 packages, or for packages you don't want to
> > upgrade.....
<snip>

I don't know about aptitude, but the method I described (based on the
APT how-to) may not work as planned. I haven't tested it extensively
myself, but when I did try it a couple of times it didn't list any
upgrades to backports.org packages (and I knew some were available).

It could be that apt-show-versions only recognizes official releases
(stable, testing, unstable, as per the apt how-to)?

That probably should teach me not to recommend things which I don't
always use myself ;)