Re: New Backports Suite created

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:20:15 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > As an outsider, I have no idea what sloppy means.
>
> I wasn't there and I don't know but I feel sure that the name sloppy
> has roots in the volatile-sloppy repository.
>
>   http://www.debian.org/volatile/
>
>     What is debian-volatile/sloppy?
>
>       For packages in the volatile section of the debian-volatile archive,
>       we try to ensure that newer versions do not introduce functional
>       changes or require the administrator to modify the configuration
>       file. Software which cannot be upgraded painlessly will end up in the
>       section volatile-sloppy.

This may somewhat define the meaning of sloppy within Debian, but to
the outside world, the term "sloppy" is rather meaningless, and
actually very nebulous.  This is what I'm trying to convey.  I'd prefer
to see a more well-defined name chosen based on what the suite's
intended purpose; rather than an intentionally scary name. That really
isn't going to help Debian attract new users.

Best wishes,
Mike