Re: nvidia doesn't work on 3.x kernels

Sorry, you guys are right. It works fine with kernels in backports.

However It keeps failing with dkms using a 3.0.18 kernel compiled from
pristine upstream sources.
While installing all the nvidia packages (and having linux-headers
installed as well), dkms simply skips the 3.0.18 kernel and says no
sources are available. But I was able to compile the nvidia kernel
module using module assistant

I'm trying to use the longterm stable 3.0.x series for stability.

I guess this isn't really a bug that affects backports but perhaps
only an annoyance for those who prefer to compile their own kernels.