Re: Customized Blends

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:43:35PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
via http://layer-acht.org/blog/debian/#1-231

blogging (1-231) life; title=Customized Blends

 * Almost exactly a year ago, the term "Custom Debian Distribution" was
   changed to [1 "Debian Pure Blends"] to better reflect what it is about:
   a variation of Debian within Debian. So far, so good. Then there are also
   "Debian Blends", which are not pure, meaning they have some parts which
   are not yet in Debian.

 * But the intention is clear, a Debian Blend aims to be fully part of
   Debian.

 * This week it occured to me that there is something else, something which
   is widely done and which is something else, so it should have it's own
   term: "Customized Blends", where some parts of the "distribution" is taken
   from a Debian Blend, while there are others, which are customisations,
   which are not likely or even desired/possible to end up in Debian.

When I coined the term "Debian Pure Blend", I intended it to be a users' term, with a parallel developers' term being "Debian-packaged, Debian-built and Debian-distributed", abbreviated DDD.

The idea was to have an easy-to-grasp while uneasy to misinterpret "consumer-friendly" term, and an even-more-exact technical term that had the fun(?) side-effect of being treated as Sparse code[1] so it could be (ab)used to not only distinguish "non-pure" derivations off of Debian but also *how* they were non-pure.

As an example, Ubuntu is an AAA (Altered/Alternate/Another packaging and Altered/Alternate/Another building into binary form and then Alternate/Another means of distributing the result).

Another example is, if I understand it correctly, Skolelinux as released in Norway currently: a DAA, as it consists of pure Debian parts, compiled within the Debian infrastructure except for setting a few pre-seed hints (which would have been a policy violation if set similarly in Debian) and then released outside of Debian.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARS_Code

Kind regards,

 - Jonas