Re: Regarding Dominican Distro

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:17:08 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> It might just be possible to do this mostly within Debian. As an
> example the BrDesktop people from Brazil did this some years ago,
> producing 3 source packages, one for artwork, one for configuration
> and one for package selection (metapackages). Their work is no longer
> available in Debian as the project was discontinued because the normal
> Debian artwork, configuration and metapackages were considered
> adequate.

You said before that it will be quicker to create a derivate. Why? How
long it takes to build a minimal version or a standard version (with a
desktop)?

Based on your knowledge/experience, how long (approximation) it
takes to build those metapackages for artwork, configuration and package
selection?

> It should be possible to minimise this and do most things directly in
> Debian since we provide quite a bit of infrastructure that blends can
> use too.

The project will have some infrastructure to support it. That's why we
are looking for a balanced point. Maybe for a start would be better
create a Blend first, then derivate, or vice versa. Or just a Blend or
just a derivate forever.

Although we have good connectivity in the country, we would like to have
some degree of independence to work on the development process.

> The things you would probably need to be separate from Debian might
> just be the website, support services.

That's fine. We would to contribute with a local Debian mirror.

> Local Debian things are also important, for example local Debian
> members, user groups, events, bug squashing parties, Spanish
> translation, archive mirrors, CD vendors, pre-installed computers,
> consultants,

Of course, we have the commitment to create a strong community around
the distro.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#invite

I just sent and email to Javier about the Census.

> Since the computers will be locally assembled, you can choose which
> components and ensure that they have good support before you
> distribute them.

The assembly is a separate project. But we will try to review the
hardware.

> Do you know how many people will be involved in the development of
> the project?

It will be 5 to 10 developers. The project will have an office
to house personnel.

> Are any of the people involved already members of Debian or working
> with Debian?

Don't know yet. It will be and open competition to recruit developers,
since these are public resources. I'm a Debian user since Sarge, but
with some little interruptions in the middle.

--
Franky Almonte
Fundación Dominicana de Software Libre