Re: install from a pile of floppies?

Hello,

I am installing Debian 2.1r5 currently from floppy diskes...
It is not easy to make the Floppys...

For example: Tools-Disk

First I have created a working mirror 2.1r5 on a Debian 2.1r2 System.
The system was installed from a CD...

Then I was looking, what tools I like.
OK, I habe choosen mc, floppybackup, mtools and gpm

Now in mc, you can select a *.deb file and press enter.
The fille will mounted and you find a file INFO go on it and
press F3 for viewing. Now you must vie in the Depends: section...

This files are neccesarily for the program.

For example mc: libc6, libcomerr2, libext2fs, libgpmg1 libncurses4

Then you must know, if you install the rescue.bin drivers and the
base2_1 disks that all files located in /main/base in the debian
mirror are not neccesarily..

My Tools-Disk contains following:

/floppy/libs            libgpmg1...deb
/floppy/misc            gpm...deb
/floppy/otherosfs       mtools....deb
/floppy/utils           floppybackup...deb
/floppy/utils           mc...deb

Now you must get (it is better to do) in the root of the Floppy-Disk
/floppy and call dpkg-scanpackages

www:/floppy# dpkg-scanpackages -m 'Debian 2.1r5 Disk: Tools-1' . /dev/null
> Packages

On the machine where you like to install from Floppys put the Floppy in and

edit first /etc/apt/sources.list to

deb file:/floppy/ ./

Then you must call apt-get with

newmachine:/# apt-get update

If you have more then one Floppy created, apt-get ask you for the next one
or press q to quiet. And now you can install your programs like

www:/# apt-get install mc

Please use only the Packages-Name and not more...

If you like to install a Bunch of programs, make a new file and put the
Package-Name you like to install in it. ONE LINE PER PACKAGE !!!
Now you can call it with

www:/# apt-get install $my_install.list

I hope this helps...

Michelle

P.S.1:  Curently I am creating a cours for Linux-Newbies and I will put
        the Ready-To-use-Disk-Images on my Server.

        tools (1x), router (2x), dns (2x), samba (2x) webmin (1x),
        xserver (16x), fvwm (1x), perl5 (3x), apache (1x), mail (1x),
        ftp (1x), games (5x), ... I am waiting for suggestions !!!

P.S.2:  I have a Laptop without a working serial-port (there was only one
        and it is broken) and no CD-Rom...
        ...I will install Debian from Floppys on it

At 16:15 11.04.2000 +0200, Josip Rodin you wrote
--------> This was the original Message:

--------> The Reply begins not here, it is at the beginning ^
--
Linux rebootet man in drei Fällen:
Neuer Kernel, neue (Board-)Hardware, Stromausfall....

Aber Windows rebootet man auch in drei Fällen:
Schutzverletzung, Bluescreen, keinen Bock...