Re: Install from DOS HD

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> cma2000@earthlink.net writes:
> > Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > I didn't know if I should reply directly to you or to the list, please let me
> > know.
>
> To the list.
>
> >  The filenames on the Linux side were truncated.  In particular when the
> > first reboot takes place it looks for dpkg-reconfigure, that file couldn't be
> > found.  The script looks for the file about 20 times then flashes a message about
> > something (tty1?) being spawned to fast and that the (script?) will be disabled
> > for 5 minutes.  I logged onto tty2 and all of the file names appeared to be 8
> > characters long. Any idea what I am doing wrong?  Chris
>
> This doesn't make sense.  Did you unpack the base system from DOS?
> You're supposed to boot into the installation system.  When you're in
> linux the base system will be uncompressed and it doesn't have that
> filename size limitation.
>
> So please clarify whether you followed the documented install
> procedure or did something wacky from DOS/Windows.

I think followed the documentation for installing from a DOS/Win95 HD.
I downloaded the files loadlin.exe, root.bin, linux, drivers.tgz and
base2_2.tgz and put them in their own directory on my DOS HD.  I then
rebooted to DOS (no GUI or windows drivers) I CD'd to the directory with
the Debian files and executed the line 'loadlin linux root=/dev/ram
initrd=root.bin' just like the install.bat file but without the paths.
The install seemed to go smoothly, I had to mount the DOS HD in order
for the installer to find the .tgz files (which didn't feel right as I
was doing it but couldn't find any other way)  The installer completed
and said it was time to reboot into Linux.  The boot into Linux went OK
until the dpkg-reconfigure part of the script.  Thats when I get the
message about  id 1 respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.  The
second time I tried it I pressed alt-f2 to get to tty2 I was able to log
in but a 'find' was unable to find dpkg-reconfigure. I cd'd and ls'd
until I found a file called dpkg-rec an 'ls -l' in the directory showed
all of the files names to be only 8 characters long.  Also LILO didn't
make an entry for my DOS drive I could only halfway boot into Linux.
All of the files came from
'/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current' except for root.bin which
came from '/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44'.
Thanks again.  Chris