Re: Kernel crashes before booting

Daniel Haude <dh@insitu.physnet.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> Hi people,
> The computer crashes right after the message Loading Linux...... AFAIK,
> the first step of booting is to load the compressed kernel image into
> memory (via whatever loading mechanism), and then the kernel takes over
> and decompresses itself (saying 'uncompresing Linux'). The loading seems
> to work, but the first piece of code that the kernel image itself tries to
> execute sends the computer into nirvana. So far my own diagnosis.

Could be that your MMU needs something himem.sys does to get
functional. Strange.

> This is my hardware:
> Motherboard: Slot 1 VIA693/133 ATX Mainboard with Intel Pentium II/400 MHZ
> 		    (AWARD Bios)
> RAM: 64 MB SDRAM (1 module)
> CD-ROM: TEAC FD235 ATAPI
> Harddisk: IBM DJNA-351520 UIDE 15.2 GB
> Graphics adaptor: ATI Graphics RAGE FURY 16 MB
>
> I think this is a BIOS/Mainboard question. My computer dealer says, "your
> software is incomaptible with our hardware, so it's your fault" and
> doesn't want to take it back. OK, it's a pretty cheap mainboard, I'll
> admit that. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anybody could offer some help in
> this matter. Maybe I'll never be able to fix it, but I'd at least like to
> know what causes this problem. I've played with about every combination of
> BIOS settings possible, of course.

Did you ask for Linux compatibility when you bought it? Probably
not. Nowadays I allways do and when the shop says so, let them write
it down. That way they have to take the stuff back when it doesn´t
work.

You could try to contact the manufacturer an let them know about the
incompatibility or try to write to magazines, www.heise.de would be a
good adress. They can eigther help you to fix the problem or at least
warn others not to buy that hardware. Get publicity behind you and you
get more help. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: I have a similar problem, I can only boot from harddisk when I
have some M$ OS on the aktiv partition. Putting lilo on a dos
partitions bootblock works fine, but not on a linux partition.