Re: An initrd proposal

Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 11:02:42PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > Now the bad bits:
> > Its all to big and wont fit onto one disk. The 2.2.12 kernel is a
> > little bigger than the 2.0.36 on the slink rescue disk (namely 433003
> > Byte) and a 4 Mb ramdisk containing the common modules takes more than
> > 1 MB as gzip file.
> You also lose a noticeable amount of space by compiling the drivers as a
> module. A driver compiled into the kernel is (wild guess) 80% smaller
> than the necessary file on the ramdisk (both compressed of course)

Holes are compressing well when zero'ed, so not too much space is wasted on the
floppy (however it is still wasted in RAM).

> [...]
> Using the current 2.2.12ac13 kernel I made a completely
> modular kernel containing ram disk and initrd only and ext2fs only):
>
> vmlinuz      340705 (this is i386, what about other archs?)

Current sparc32 kernel is 780kB compressed and works on almost all old sparc.
sparc64 (ultrasparc) is even bigger: 1045kB compressed :(
It is not all modularized, especially all network support is compiled in.
SCSI support could also be moved to module.
However, I don't think I can modularize framebuffers.  There is no such option
in the sparclinux config file, so I still need to compile them all in :(
Anyway I will do a trial soon and post the result here.

> libc6 dll    425126 (gzip -9, current 2.1 version)

366602 on sparc (2.1.2-4)
456435 libc+libm (what else needed ?)

> ld-linux dll 104465 (gzip -9, current 2.1 version)

128103

> ncurses dll   96797 (gzip -9, current 4.2 version)

107679

> ash           30222

50018

kernel + lib[cm]6 + ld-linux + ncurses + ash = 1505kB :(
Even with a modularized kernel, I don't know if it will ever fit in one 1.44MB
floppy !

Regards.