Re: Apropos i18n

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 09:27:38AM +0100, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> I don't know how works with apt configurator are evolving, but i would like
> to suggest one thing.
> I guess that epart from messages, fonts, maps etc it would be nice to have
> such things localized as Apt's sources.list. I mean for example if one
> chooses, say Polish language at the beginning then at the stage of
> configuring Apt default servers are ftp.pl.debian.org and not
> http.us.debian.org. I'm aware that there isn't a mirror in every country, so
> this can't be only ftp.${countycode}.debian.org, but has to be provided with
> other locale information.
>
> just my 2 $0.02

	It would be a nice idea if we offered the official mirrors as
an option to the users, but no more than that... for example, here in
Brazil we have two backbones, the 'comercial' one and the 'academic'
one (in fact the 'comercial' one is composed by several backbone
providers ). The academic backbone is composed by all public
universities and it is where all good mirrors are, including
br.debian.org. The links between the academic and comercial backbones
are terrible so, when we connect from home trhu a comercial provider,
using ftp.debian.org is generally faster than using br.debian.org.

	So I think using the official mirrors when available by default
may not be a so good Idea, but presenting their availability to the
user and let him choose would be nice.

regards,

--macan