Re: Concatenateable images (armhf) currently not working?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 06:41:26PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:

> > A software workaround is being worked on;
>
> The changelog of the u-boot-tools update that hit testing today looked
> promising, but just installing that and rebooting did not help. Is
> this not "it" yet or does one have to do something extra to actually
> enable the new stuff?

The patch that went into the Debian u-boot 2016.03+dfsg1-2 was
another ethernet-related fix, but not the one for the gigabit
issues on the Lime2.

We have a working solution for the gigabit issues on the Lime2
now.  It consists of a number of patches, of which the last one
went into upstream u-boot master just yesterday.  There are also
some other sunxi-related fixes that need backporting to the
u-boot 2016.03 in Debian to fix crashes/hangs on the Lime2 under
certain conditions.

I'm currently working on putting all necessary patches together
and test the resulting patchset on a number of platforms, but
that will probably take a day or two.  When the tests are
successful, I'll submit the patchset for inclusion into the
Debian u-boot package.

> (Fun fact: It seems I don't have u-boot or u-boot-sunxi
> installed, just u-boot-tools.  What do those do if they're not
> needed to boot?  Yes, I'm a total ARM-newbie.)

On some platforms / in certain versions, u-boot requires that the
kernel and initrd images are provided in a specific format
(uImage/uInitrd).  U-boot-tools contains some commandline tools
that can build such images from standard Linux kernel and initrd
files, as well as tools to manipulate the u-boot environment from
within a running Linux system.

If a platform requires uImages/uInitrds, the flash-kernel
packages uses the u-boot tools to automatically generate them
when one installs a kernel update.

Updating u-boot itself has to be done manually, because it works
very much differently on different arm platforms. The actual
u-boot binaries are in the u-boot-<platform> package; in your
case in the u-boot-sunxi package.

To update the u-boot on your Lime2 when the necessary fixes
have been included in the package, run:

 # apt-get install u-boot-sunxi
 # dd if=/usr/lib/u-boot/A20-OLinuXino-Lime2/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin bs=1k seek=8 of=/dev/mmcblk0
 # sync

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der